I turned 35 today. It kinda snuck up on me, this mid-thirties business. I swear I’m still in my twenties, but my legal documentation, not to mention the fine lines under my eyes, say otherwise.
I started out the day with a grande pumpkin spice latte from Starbucks (it’s free when it’s your birthday!) and a fancy donut from one of the local shops here. I took my collective 1,000 calories and sat down on the beach. The Atlantic was choppy and I was glad I brought my jacket with me. The sunbathing days are over for now. Despite that, the sun was shining and I was in my happy place. I talked with my mom and wrote in my journal – which had been neglected since last spring. I took stock of my 34th year, and wrote down my hopes and dreams for the 35th year.
When I was 34….
- I began writing a book detailing the 20+ years of genealogy stories and trees I have rolling around in my brain.
- I applied for 3 jobs that are out of my area of expertise in hopes of a career change: thus far I’ve been rejected, and am now awaiting to see if #3 will hire me.
- I learned how the mind of an addict works on the fly.
- Roadtripped with my sister-in-law, niece, husband, friend from college, and myself.
- I started a technical writing certification program. It was time to put some energy into a passion.
- I learned how to crochet and improved my craft. I’ve come a long way from my drunk spider mode, but I still have so much to learn.
- Discovered the lifestyle of contemplative prayer, and how it fits so well with my worship style. It is so different from what mainstream American Christianity offers, it was like jumping in the ocean on the hottest day of year: so refreshing!
- Began rock climbing again, and met some very cool people along the way.
- I learned French (I started with nothing), where I can read simple things, but cannot actually impress anyone from France.
- I kept up with my German studies through video, lessons, and reading the Bible.
- I watched the entire series of Gilmore Girls.
- Rediscovered one of my favorite authors of all time, Alister MacLean.
- I started this blog.
As for 35….
- I want a new career.
- I want to nail my capstone project for my technical writing certification.
- I want my crochet projects to benefit the homeless and others in need.
- I want to expand on the contemplative prayer lifestyle, connecting further with the Lord.
- I want to travel out into the western part of the USA.
- My husband and I have been contemplating an exit plan, perhaps moving away from the beach. The current job situation went from bad to worse with him.
- A European adventure is on the horizon: every time I go to Europe, I am inspired to do something and I wonder what this trip will bring.
- I want better control over my anxiety and lack of confidence.
- I want to identify and express my emotions better. I really sucked at that when I was 34.
- I want to write my book, finish the stories, finish the trees, get an editor/manuscript.
- I want to surf.
- I want to open my home to friends, strangers, and those in need; even if my husband is upset at the idea.
- I want to be a better wife by growing closer to my husband and reflecting the Lord.
- While a family is not in the cards I was dealt, and my heart is so tender in that spot; that the Lord may fill it with what He so desires.